Friday, May 18, 2007

Option paralysis

I tend to overeat at the buffet of life. Just like it's eating metaphor, this sometimes leaves me with a quesy feeling knowing I have taken far to much on my plate and there seems to be no way to finish it. Today I hit one of those moments. I am going to spend a few moments on non-knitterly things just to process and breathe.

The NEVER ENDING story - We are moving, and to do that we need to sell our 1860's victorian we have been remodelling for 6 years. Our house will be listed next Wednesday which means they are coming to take photos on Tuesday. I still have what seems like 3 weeks worth of work to do. Not to mention getting the house clean enough to take pictures of.

The dissertation - 39 subjects left to go before September 4th. It's unlikely that I will actually do that, however, I just keep trying to believe it is possible.

The snag - this is still in the highly preliminary stages so shhhhh! The hubby has been (sort of) offered a very nice promotion with the company he works for. However, this has caused a lot of stress because we currently live in Iowa. I have to go to Minnesota for internship and the job is in Chicago. Therefore, it is possible we may live apart for a year. This has started to turn into a logistical nightmare, and I am not so big with the loving of those.

But, when life hands you lemons........... sometimes it also hands you lemonade! I was standing with a can of white paint (pictures of the completed house next week I promise) when there was a knock on the door. STASH ENHANCEMENTS via certified mail! I love it love it. So since then I have been neglected anything that resembles real work in favor of playing with my new yarn. Sometimes a girl just have to say "enough is enough."

First, my noncertified package. Earlier this week the hubby bought me some "try to relax" sock yarn. I think he feels I am ready to implode and is trying to tie me back together with string. This may be the most brilliant idea he ever had.
Fabulous new sock yarn (this isn't counting the big package I have coming later this week *grins evilly*)

Lorna's laces in "flame." I know many people love this yarn. I am only lukewarm on it, but we will see if that changes. Cherry tree hill (one of my personal favorites) in "spanish moss."



But onto the the certified package! From our neighbors across the pond I recieved, 10 balls of yorkshire tweed aran in the color "maize" (this baffles me, more in a second.......... first the pictures).

My pile of yorkshire tweed on my completely restored fireplace.



This fireplace has been the bane of my existence for a year. It used to be covered in very small (1' x 2') glass tiles............ and try as I might I could not get the mortor to come off of them. So I finally gave in (in the interest of selling our house) and retiled the fireplace in modern tiles found at our friendly Lowe's. It turned out to be very pretty and I think if you didn't know what you were missing you wouldn't notice.

Now why maize baffles me. Here is a picture of the yarn up close and personal.



I always associate the color maize with an almost corn brown. However, this is an incredibly brilliant green color. Am I wrong about my maize association? Have I lost my mind? It doesn't really matter I adore this color. So much so I had to take a picture outside to do it justice!

Now what am I going to do with my 10 skeins you ask? I am going to make a sweater of course, the lovely juno sweater. I saw this on Yarn Harlot's web page and I knew I had to have one (with the modifications of course). here is the original picture as features in Rowan's magazine. Here is a picture of a completed Juno modelled by the modification goddess, herself, Vanessa .

1 comment:

Tracy Batchelder said...

You do have a lot on your plate right now. Yarn and knitting is a good stress reducer. Your husband is so smart to pick up on that. Great sock yarn and the "maize" is so beautiful! I normally associate that name with a shade of yellow too.

If you have time, I'd love to see photos of your home. It looks lovely. It's a shame you couldn't restore the glass tile, but if you don't tell, no one will know. And the new tile looks good.